When you buy a home insurance policy, you are actually buying several individual coverages. Each coverage protects you against different types of losses. A brief description of the five basic coverages is provided here.
- Dwelling – Protects your house, detached garage and storage sheds from fire, hail, windstorm, vandalism.
- Contents – Protects furniture, clothing, and other personal belongings.
- Additional Living Expenses – Pays for extra expenses you have for lodging, food, and other items if disaster forces you from your home.
- Liability – Protects you when you or one of your family unintentionally injures someone or damages their property.
- Medical Payment – Pays the bills for others injured while on your property.
To get an accurate quote, you will usually need this information:
Coverage and limits you want
Description of your home
Fire and security devices
Questions To Ask
How much would I save if I increase my deductible?
What is not covered?
Is my coverage replacement cost or actual cash value?
Does coverage include water damage or sewer back-up?
Does the policy cover my jewelry, antiques, or special collections?
What other special coverages are available?
What proof do I need in case of a loss?
There are a variety of insurance companies that provide home insurance in Utah. By requesting a quote, I will shop the Utah market for the insurance company that suits your needs best.
UtahInsurance.org works with the following companies:
- Auto Owners
- Burns & Wilcox
- Colorado Casualty