In 1991, the state of Utah established the Health Insurance Pool of Utah for people with serious medical conditions that made them unable to obtain medical insurance at any price. The Health Insurance Pool of Utah is administered by SelectHealth (formerly IHC Health Plans). If you need assistance, please call 801-442-6660.
How to Apply for Coverage
To apply for HIPUtah coverage, you must follow these steps
- Check the Eligibility Guidelines – You can also call HIP Utah at 801-442-6660 to find out if you are eligible.
- Learn about the HIPUtah Low Income Premium Waiver Program and determine whether or not you are eligible by filling out this worksheet and application.
- Print out the HIPUtah application (and the Low Income Premium Waiver Application if you wish) and complete them in ink. Even though the Premium Waiver Application is for 2006, 2007, please complete it and send a copy of your 2006 or 2007 federal tax returns.
- Please pay special attention to the instructions and provide the necessary information requested. If the application is not complete or if the required documentation is missing, the application will be returned to you and will delay the application process and your effective date
- Include copies of your medical records or a physician’s letter detailing your diagnoses and prognoses with your application. In addition, to receive credit for prior insurance coverage, you must submit proof of previous insurance.
- Choose a deductible and premium. There are three calendar year deductible options available. The HIPUtah Outline of Coverage includes information on these. Choose the specific deductible desired and determine the monthly rate (premiums) for the deductible you have selected
HIPUtah Outline of Coverage
- When all forms are completed, mail the application, the medical information, proof of insurance, and payment option form to the following address:
Sentry West Insurance Services
Attn: Jared Balis
3860 South 2300 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84109
If the application is complete and all documentation is provided, you can expect to receive a status report from a HIPUtah representative within two weeks of the submission of your application. If additional medical information or other information is required, HIPUtah will contact you. If you have any questions, or need assistance, please call 801-442-6660.
Other HIP Utah resources:
HIP Utah Doctor and Hospital Network
Other options if you have been denied
Apply to HumanaOne or Assurant Health
This isn’t the answer most of the time, but if you feel that your condition is well controlled and the insurance company shouldn’t have any reason to expect significant future claims, it may be a good idea to apply to HumanaOne or Assurant Health. HumanaOne introduced their individual plans is Utah in 2006. They are more lenient than most of the other insurance companies in Utah. Assurant offers condition specific deductibles that allow them to offer plans to those that other insurers won’t. If you aren’t sure whether to apply to HumanaOne or Assurant Health, or continue with the options below, please call Jared at 801-308-2070. You can also apply online for HumanaOne or Assurant Health now.
United American Insurance
If you have been denied coverage by SelectHealth (formerly IHC), Blue Cross Blue Shield of Utah, Altius Health Plans, Assurant Health or HumanaOne, try United American Insurance. United American is less likely to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions and history, especially if the condition occurred more than five years ago.
Please contact Mike Watson at 801-860-1120 for coverage information and pricing.
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) requires most employers with group health plans to offer employees the opportunity to continue temporarily their group health care coverage under their employer’s plan if their coverage otherwise would cease due to termination, layoff, or other change in employment status (referred to as “qualifying events”).
Group Health Insurance
You cannot be denied for group health insurance through an employer for health history or medical reasons. Some people seek employers with health insurance benefits because they know the employer’s health plan will accept them, no matter what their health history.
Utah Medicaid Insurance
The state offers medical insurance for individuals who meet certain requirements, such as financial and residential requirements. This plan cannot be sold by Utah agents. For more information click here or call 800-662-9651.
UPP (Utah’s Premier Partnership for Health Insurance)
UPP (Utah’s Premium Partnership for Health Insurance) helps make health insurance more affordable for working individuals and families who do not currently have health insurance. UPP (pronounced ‘up’) helps you pay your monthly health insurance premiums through your employer’s health insurance plan. For more information click here or call 1-888-222-2542.
HIP Utah – Utah Health Insurance Pool
and other options if you have been denied health insurance in the state of Utah